Monday, September 7, 2009

The Holiday that Mocks Us: Labor Day

Happy Labor Day.

I just LOVE three day weekends.

Are you taking a trip for your holiday weekend?

Well, as a matter of fact, every weekend is a three-day weekend. Heck! I live every day like it's a Saturday!

Ok, not really. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I dedicate many hours of my day to looking employed, writing thank you notes, applying for jobs and facebooking. I just don't clock in or out; I can wear shorts and a t-shirt; and I can't usually tell what day it is... unless the bank or post office isn't open.

And even if I was employed, I can't imagine looking forward to a Monday off. Yes, it elongates the weekend and you get to avoid the "monday's," but you still have a Tuesday to deal with.

I did treat today a little bit like a holiday, I suppose. I slept in, got my free chick-fil-a (geaux tigers), napped, ate bbq, and generally avoided job search talk.

But tomorrow will act like the first day of the week, just like Monday normally does. And I will only have 4 days to do all of the every-pressing things I have on my to do list rather than 5. This hurts the odds of my dry cleaning being ready for my upcoming trip (job search related... no vacas for the unemployed), thank you notes arriving in a timely fashion AND finishing the unpacking that is still left from last weekend.

Thank you, Labor Day, for reminding me I'm unemployed; giving employed friends the option to talk about their "three day weekend;" and shortening my "work" week. Thanks a lot.

1 comment:

  1. ditto. I usually have no idea what day of the week it is, or for that matter, what the date is. But, I did buy a new planner in the hopes that I will in the near future actually have things to write down in it. Maybe then I will know what the day and date are...

    ReplyDelete