Monday, September 21, 2009

The Hobbies of The Unemployed

In addition to spending your time productively, you need a hobby. Hobbies give you something to talk about and ways to meet new people (aka networking).

One hobby that I embraced about a year and a half ago is running. Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not a "runner," I run for fun. I've completed a few 5k's; and up until early July when it was too hot to BREATHE outside, I was running 4-5 times a week.

Now that I'm in a cooler climate, I plan on picking that up again... the running. If you chose running as your hobby, set goals! Well, first thing first, buy good running shoes. If you invest in good running shoes you will be committed to running because of the financial investment alone!

Goals are next. Find a 5k to run. Give yourself 6 weeks to train, especially if you haven't been particularly active up to this point. There are lots of great websites to get you into a routine. I would google "couch to 5k" for a starter program. And commit to it!

A few weeks ago, a job bank guy told me that running is viewed highly by future employers. It shows commitment, that you are goal oriented and general self discipline. That was the day that I added my running club to my "activities and affiliations" on my resume.

Ok, you don't have to run. That is not the only hobby option out there. But pick something that you can continue to do while employed and something that reflects your personality and style.

Maybe refinishing furniture is your thing or building model cars or playing an instrument. Find something. Commit to it. Set goals. And use your hobby as an opportunity to network... and maybe even find a new career field... cause clearly the careers you are pursuing aren't working out so hot if you're unemployed. :D

Take my advice and run with it. Pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment